Interactive Highway Safety Design Model (IHSDM)
Welcome to the Interactive Highway Safety Design Model (IHSDM) software download web site.
The IHSDM - HSM Predictive Method 2016 Release (version 12.0.0; September 28, 2016) is now available free-of-charge. The 2016 Release expands the IHSDM Crash Prediction Module (CPM) by implementing draft Highway Safety Manual (HSM) crash predictive methods for 6+ lane and 1-way urban/suburban arterials, developed under NCHRP Project 17-58.
See Release Notes for the IHSDM 2016 Release for more details on enhancements. Please note: The IHSDM 2016 Release can be installed over 2011 and later versions of IHSDM.
Through this site you can complete the required registration process and, upon approval, download IHSDM. (Existing registered users, follow the “Download Login” link to access this update. New users, click on the “Download Registration” link.)
The IHSDM - HSM Predictive Method 2016 Release includes six evaluation modules: Crash Prediction, Policy Review, Design Consistency, Traffic Analysis, Driver/Vehicle and Intersection Review. To the extent possible, the Crash Prediction Module (CPM) faithfully implements Part C (Predictive Method) of AASHTO's 1st Edition Highway Safety Manual for evaluating rural 2-lane highways, rural multilane highways, and urban/suburban arterials, as well as HSM 2014 Supplement materials on freeway segments and freeway ramps/interchanges. For more information on IHSDM, visit FHWA's general IHSDM website.
On October 20, 2016 from 1:00 to 2:30 pm EDT, FHWA will host a web conference on the IHSDM - HSM Predictive Method 2016 Release. This webinar will showcase the newest IHSDM capabilities, focusing on how the tool’s Crash Prediction Module (CPM) can be used to apply HSM Part C predictive methods for:
- Two-lane and multi-lane rural highways
- Urban and suburban arterials
- Freeway segments
- Freeway ramps and interchanges
This webinar is open to all transportation professionals. Participants must register in advance at https://collaboration.fhwa.dot.gov/dot/fhwa/WC/Lists/Seminars/DispForm.aspx?ID=1109. (Note: Non-USDOT employees must have an FHWA external collaboration account to register. If you do not have an account please visit http://bit.ly/webinar_account to request one. See the webinar flyer for more information.
The web site is organized into the following pages:
- Current Events - Notices of new software releases, training, and major updates to this web site.
- Web Conferences - IHSDM-related web conferences
- User Applications - Summaries of selected IHSDM user applications
- Obtaining IHSDM - Overview of obtaining and installing IHSDM.
- Download Registration - The steps and online form needed to register to download the software.
- Download Login - Download login page.
- Highway Data - Samples and sources of data required by IHSDM.
- Software Testing Feedback - The types of input the FHWA is seeking from users.
- Technical Support - Support options and mechanisms available for IHSDM.
- Frequently Asked Questions - a list of frequently asked questions related to the IHSDM software.
- Credits - The sponsors and developers of the IHSDM software.
- External Links - Links to other web sites of interest to IHSDM users.
You can learn more about the functionality of IHSDM and the IHSDM research and development program at the main IHSDM technology web site.