Interactive Highway Safety Design Model (IHSDM)
Welcome to the Interactive Highway Safety Design Model (IHSDM) software download web site.
The IHSDM - HSM Predictive Method 2017 Release (version 13.0.0; September 13, 2017) is now available free-of-charge. The major enhancement is a new IHSDM Economic Analyses Tool (EA Tool). With the addition of the EA Tool, users can now conduct economic analyses within IHSDM, using Crash Prediction Module evaluation results (crash frequencies and severities). The initial version of the IHSDM EA Tool applies to freeways, and will be expanded to include all facility types covered by Part C of the Highway Safety Manual. IHSDM Economic Analyses Tool Help and an IHSDM Economic Analyses Tool Tutorial Lesson are available to help you get started.
See Release Notes for the IHSDM 2017 Release for more details on enhancements. Please note: The IHSDM 2017 Release can be installed over 2011 and later versions of IHSDM.
Through this site you can complete the required registration process and, upon approval, download IHSDM. (Existing registered users, follow the “Download Login” link to access this update. New users, click on the “Download Registration” link.)
The IHSDM - HSM Predictive Method 2017 Release includes six evaluation modules: Crash Prediction, Policy Review, Design Consistency, Traffic Analysis, Driver/Vehicle and Intersection Review. To the extent possible, the Crash Prediction Module (CPM) faithfully implements Part C (Predictive Method) of AASHTO's 1st Edition Highway Safety Manual for evaluating rural 2-lane highways, rural multilane highways, and urban/suburban arterials, as well as HSM 2014 Supplement materials on freeway segments and freeway ramps/interchanges. For more information on IHSDM, visit FHWA's general IHSDM website and view the Every Day Counts (EDC) flyer describing IHSDM and how it supports FHWA's Data-Driven Safety Analysis (DDSA) initiative.
On November 1, 2017 (1:00 - 2:30 pm EDT) FHWA will host a Data-Driven Safety Analysis (DDSA) webinar on the “IHSDM 2017 Release and the New IHSDM Economic Analyses Tool”. To register for the webinar, visit this link. Note: Non-U.S. DOT employees must have an FHWA external collaboration account to register. If you do not have an account please visit this link to request one.
The web site is organized into the following pages:
- Current Events - Notices of new software releases, training, and major updates to this web site.
- Web Conferences - IHSDM-related web conferences
- User Applications - Summaries of selected IHSDM user applications
- Obtaining IHSDM - Overview of obtaining and installing IHSDM.
- Download Registration - The steps and online form needed to register to download the software.
- Download Login - Download login page.
- Highway Data - Samples and sources of data required by IHSDM.
- Software Testing Feedback - The types of input the FHWA is seeking from users.
- Technical Support - Support options and mechanisms available for IHSDM.
- Frequently Asked Questions - a list of frequently asked questions related to the IHSDM software.
- Credits - The sponsors and developers of the IHSDM software.
- External Links - Links to other web sites of interest to IHSDM users.
You can learn more about the functionality of IHSDM and the IHSDM research and development program at the main IHSDM technology web site.