Obtaining and Installing IHSDM
Currently, the IHSDM software is distributed from the IHSDM software download web site at www.ihsdm.org/wiki. There is no charge for the download, although a valid e-mail address must be specified to register for a download.
The minimum Windows computer system requirements to run IHSDM are as follows:
- Operating System: Windows 7, Microsoft Vista, and Windows 2000 Professional. Notes: The software development team has not tested IHSDM version 13.0.0 on the unsupported Windows XP, the Windows 8, or the Windows 10 Operating Systems, but our expectation is that it will run successfully. IHSDM version 3.00 was the last release that officially supported Windows 98 or Windows ME. There is limited support for IHSDM on other operating systems.
- HTML Browser: Firefox, Netscape Navigator, or Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Minimum Hardware Configuration
- At least 450 MHz x86 compatible CPU
- At least 256 MB RAM
- 800 x 600 high color (16 bit) display
- At least 400 MB free disk space.
- Recommended Hardware Configuration
- At least 1.5 GHz x86 compatible CPU
- At least 512 MB RAM (1 GB for Vista)
- 1280 x 1028 high color (16 bit) display
IHSDM is packaged in a Windows executable installer archive. Several different packages, referred to as distributions, may be available at a given point in the product life cycle:
- Full distribution - contains the entire IHSDM release, include a Java runtime environment, CHM help files, configuration files and example highway data files.
- Update distribution - everything from a Full distribution except for the Java runtime. This is a smaller file than the Full distribution.
- Patch distribution - includes only the Java class archive. This is the smallest file.
At the start of a new release, all users must download the Full distribution. If an update is made to the release, an Update and/or Patch distribution may be available. If available, and the Full distribution has already been installed, the Update and/or Patch distribution will bring a release completely up to date with a smaller download. The same instruction for downloading and installing IHSDM apply to all distributions.
IHSDM is implemented in the Java programming language. Most of the functionality of IHSDM is available on any host operating system that supports a Java 7 runtime environment. More information of non-Windows deployment of IHSDM is available elsewhere.
Each IHSDM distribution file is packaged as a Windows installer archive file. Users must first download the file and, then, use the file to install the software. The same instructions apply to downloading and installing all distributions. After download and installation, you may start IHSDM.
The following instructions apply to downloading any distribution file.
- Register to download the files. This needs to be done only once.
- Enter your e-mail address and the download password you received by e-mail when registering in the download login form.
- Click on Submit Password button on the form.
- A new page will be displayed with a tabular list of the files available for download.
- Click on the name (in the first column) of any individual file you wish to download.
- Respond to the query for the folder (directory) where you wish the distribution file to be downloaded, by browsing to select the folder and then clicking on "Save"
- As required, select another file for download and respond to the save folder query.
The files associated with IHSDM are rather large. Several organizations have reported that the download process has timed-out before completion. If the size of the downloaded file does not match the size listed on the download page, it is very likely that the file is incomplete. The download page discusses the MD5 programs and scripts available from this site to test the integrity of any downloaded files.
The Internet connectivity of the IHSDM download web site is relatively slow (T1). Maximum, off-peak, downloads speed are on the order of 3.5 Mbps. If you can get a copy of IHSDM from others within your organization, please consider that option before downloading from this site. During heavy access periods, these files may take hours to download.
The IHSDM - HSM Predictive Method 2017 Release Update, version 13.1.0, is available as a Full distribution file at this time, which can be installed over 2011 and later versions of IHSDM. The 2017 Release Update includes the latest Oracle Java 7 runtime environment.
Full Distribution File
A full distribution file includes all the files required to install IHSDM, including:
- A Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from Oracle (version 1.8.0)
- All IHSDM files required to run the Policy Review, Crash Prediction, Design Consistency, Intersection Review, Traffic Analysis and Driver/Vehicle Modules
- CHM-based documentation
- Sample highway files
- A GEOPAK-to-IHSDM data extractor, for use with GEOPAK 2001, 2000 and 98.
A full distribution is packaged as a single Windows installer archive. Once installed on your computer, the JRE and IHSDM files will require 300 MB of disk space.
Details for the full Public 2017 Update distribution of the public release of IHSDM are as follows:
- File name: ihsdm_13_1_0_full.exe
- File size: 179,850,411 bytes
- Downloading time: at least 75 min.
- Date and time distribution was posted: Mar 16, 2018 9:36 AM
- MD5 signature: 9aa371c146fc266fc513106729acf1a5
After the files have been downloaded into the folder you selected on your computer, use the following instructions to install the software:
- Open Windows Explorer and double-click on the setup program file to begin the installation process. The installer archive will start and a series of dialog screens will appear. If the setup program reports errors or a message the the archive is corrupted, it is likely that the download was bad or incomplete.
- The first setup program dialog displays a welcome screen. After reading the text, click the "Next >" button to continue.
- The second setup program dialog displays the license terms. After reviewing the terms, click the "I Agree" button to continue.
- The third setup program dialog requests an installation directory (folder). Either use the "Browse" button to select a directory, or type the complete path for the desired directory in the text field. After selecting or entering the directory, click the "Next >" button to continue.
- The fourth setup program dialog requests a Start menu folder. Either select a folder, or type the folder name in the text field. After selecting or entering the folder, click the "Install" button to continue.
- The fifth setup program dialog displays a progress bar as the files are extracted from the setup program file.
- Finally, after all of the files have been extracted, a sixth pop-up dialog will query about executing the IHSDM. Select the desired options and click on the "Finish" button to complete the installation.
After the software has been installed on your computer, users may start IHSDM in any of the following ways:
- Double click on the desktop icon.
- Use the Start menu item on your desktop.
- Click on the ihsdm.exe file in Windows Explorer.